#123 HX-6B AM Receiver Kit
Build and analyse the HX-6B superheterodyne AM MW radio receiver kit.
Just my notes on a build of a HX-6B kit from a seller on aliexpress.
A superheterodyne receiver (often shortened to superhet) uses frequency mixing to convert a received signal (at a variable frequency) to a fixed intermediate frequency (IF) which can be more conveniently processed with known gain and selectivity.
Tutorials and Resources
Building and Aligning HX 6B AM Kit Radio by shango066
|C6||0.47µF electrolytic cap|
|C3||10µF electrolytic cap|
|C8,9,10||100µF electrolytic cap|
|C2||682 6.8nF ceramic cap|
|C1||103 10nF ceramic cap|
|C4,5,7,11||223 22nF ceramic cap|
|Ca,Cb||CBM-223P variable capacitor|
The HX6B is a superheterodyne design with a single IF stage. The design basically maps out as follows:
- RF Filter: T1, Ca antenna tuner
- RF amp: V1
- Local oscillator and Mixer: T2, Cb
- IF Filter and Amp: T3, V2
- Demodulator: T4, V3
- Audio amp: T5, V5, V6 push-pull class B
Credits and References
- the kit from a seller on aliexpress
- Superheterodyne Receiver - wikipedia
- Introduction to the Superheterodyne Receiver - by Lloyd Butler VK5BR
- Block Diagram of Superheterodyne Receiver Radio - Ian Pool. A good description of the modules.
- Radio Receivers Book - Chapter 4 Superheterodyne Radio Receivers - Miomir Filipovic
- Superheterodyne: BJT AM receiver - fascinating project notes by He Yong Li