Building the Bronco NB5004 1/350 German S-100 Class Schnellboot with a dockside diorama with LED effects.
Here’s a quick demo..
I picked up the Bronco NB5004 1/350 German S-100 Class Schnellboot from an aliexpress seller as pretty much a cheap impulse buy.
I turned out to be a lovely kit - even at 1:350, it is quite detailed, with a nice set of photoetch included.
The basic build is quite straight-forward, with the only fiddly bit being the photo-etch.
|propeller||Tamiya X-12||Vallejo 70.878 old gold|
|deck surface||Dark grey FS26187||Vallejo 70.870 Medium Sea Grey|
|deck surface (wood)||Gunze H-11||Humbrol 110|
|upper hull||Light Grey FS16515||Vallejo 70.990 Light Grey|
|lower hull||Tamiya XF-9||Vallejo 70.985 Hull Red|
The diorama base is imaginary dock scene. I was mainly interested in trying the idea of a split waterline display. It came together in a fairly ad-hoc manner, and I suspect my scale might be a bit off!
Some simple USB-powered electronics provide LED effects:
- two white LEDs for the lamp posts on the dock
- an LM324 running two triangle-wave oscillators
- the oscillators use the same components, but are not phase-locked, so they will drift over time (adding variety to the display)
- oscillators drive green and blue “under water” LEDs
Testing the oscillators on a breadboard:
The final build uses a USB adapter module and the oscillator circuits are constructed “dead bug” style on the LM324 chip
Credits and References
- this project on scalemates
- Bronco Model kit NB5004 1/350 German S-100 Class Schnellboot
- Bronco NB5004 at scalemates
- Bronco NB5004 - aliexpress seller (Colorfulday Store)
- E-boat - wikipedia
- LM324N Datasheet
- Bronco Models: Schnellboot-Klasse S-100 der Deutschen Kriegsmarine, 1/350 - good kit review at modellmarine.de