#669 PLAN Type 051C
Building the PLAN Type 051C destroyer DDG 115 沈阳 (Shenyang) with a little LED illumination.
Commissioned on November 28, 2006, DDG 115 is still in service with home port of 青岛 (Qingdao).
- Builder: Dalian Shipbuilding Industry Company (DSIC), Dalian, Liaoning Province, China
- Displacement: 6600 tons (standard) / 7300 tons (full load)
- Length: 155 meters (508 feet 6 inches)
- Beam: 17.2 meters (56 ft)
- Draft: 6 meters (19 ft 8 in)
- Speed: 30 knots (56 km/h)
- Range: 6500 NMI (12000 km) at 15 knots (28 km/h)
- Complement: 280
- 2 x steam turbines (94000 hp, total)
- 4 boilers
- 2 shafts / 2 propellers
- Vertical Launching System (VLS)
- 6 VLS-canisters x 8 missiles = 48
- S-300FM (SA-N-20) surface-to-air missiles (SAM)
- 1 x H/PJ-87 100mm naval gun
- 2x4 YJ-83 (C-803) anti-ship missiles (SSM)
- 2 x Type 730 H/PJ-12 close-in weapon system (CIWS)
- 2x3 324mm torpedo tubes for Yu-7 torpedoes
- 2 x Type 946 decoy launchers (15 cells)
- 2 x Type 726 decoy launchers (18 cells)
- flight deck for 1 helicopter - no hangar
- Fregat MAE-5 (NATO = Top Plate) 3D air search phased array radar
- Type 364 (SR-64 Seagull-C) air and surface search radar
- Type 362 (MR-36) air and surface search radar
- Mineral-ME (NATO = Band Stand) over-the-horizon targeting radar
- 30N6 Tombstone 3D phased-array target tracking radar
- 2 x Type 347G I-band fire-control radar (CIWS)
- SJD-9 active/passive bow sonar
I have the PLAN Type 051C Trumpeter 04529 1:350 kit. It contains decals to build both DDG-115 and DGD-116, the two ships of the class.
This is the first 1:350 ship kit I’ve built. I’m finding it a bit too large to be as satisfying as the 1:700 ships I’ve built, mainly because they are a large canvas that demands detail - detail that is not in the it or even with basic photoetch enhancements.
I compensated somewhat by adding greeblies, railings and rigging.
|radar domes||White||H1||70.993 White Grey|
|propellers||Gold||H9||70.878 Old Gold|
|lower hull||Hull Red/Cocoa Brown||H17|
|funnel tops||Flat Black||H12||H12|
|hull, superstructure||IJN Gray||H61||H61|
|deck||Engine Gray FS16081||H339||H83|
I installed a series of red LEDs (0604 SMD) powered by a CR2032 coin cell:
- 2 in the bridge, diffused with some translucent model clay
- 5 along the exposed corridors
I carved out the bridge windows and fitted some tinted windows (IC component bags)
This is not a drill! Bridge is lit with a soft glow of red LEDs diffused with translucent model clay
Basic assembly complete
I realise now that the decals are not accurate to the actual white-on-black currently sported by DDG-115.
Greeblies and aerials copied from some reference photos… at 1:350, the ship really demands more detail than is provided by the kit and standard photoetch.
It could still do with a bit more detailing, and I’ve been thinking about placing it in a seascape, but that’s all for now!
tbh, I think this one convinced me that 1:350 not really my scale - too much blank canvas and standard level of detail even with PE is far from convincing, so quite a big job to fill the gap. I can see myself returning to this build to add detail and weathering over the next year or more! But in the meantime I think I’ll be retreating back to 1:700..
Credits and References
- this project on scalemates
- PLA Navy Type 051C DDG-115 Shenyang 04529 - trumpeter-china
- Navy Destroyer DDG 115 Shenyang. PLAN Type 051C Trumpeter No. 04529 1:350 - scalemates
- Handrails & Ladders for model ship Trumpeter No. 06636 1:350 - scalemates
- Type 051C destroyer - wikipedia
- DDG 115 沈阳 / Shenyang - wikipedia