#579 Jie Fang CA-30 Fuel Transporter
A simple build of the 解放 Jie Fang CA-30 Fuel Transporter 1:72 model 01104 from Trumpeter (no electronics - yet).
The Jiefang CA-30 is a military truck widely used by the PLA, based on the Soviet ZIL-157. It was produced between 1958 and 1986. It was manufactured by FAW Jie Fang 一汽解放汽车有限公司, based in Changchun, Jilin, China.
I picked up a kit (1:72 scale) of the fuel truck variant from Trumpeter for a few reasons:
- as my first experience of a Trumpeter vehicle kit, to learn about the quality and features they offer
- practice spray painting
- investigate as a possible candidate for electrification and/or use in a diorama with a plane
The Trumpeter Jie Fang CA-30 Fuel Truck 01104 is a simple 1:72 scale model. I purchased it from a seller on aliexpress
The kit contains:
- 3 main sprues
- 1 clear sprue for window parts. Some clear acrylic stamped (it appears) as alternative windows (I did not use this)
- metal axles (allows the wheels to rotate in the final model)
Construction is quite straight-forward. I left the cab, wheels and drive-train as separate components for painting.
Primed with Vallejo Surface Primer 70.601:
|misc metal features and chipping||H8 or X11 Silver||Humbrol 11|
|fire extinguisher||H13 or XF7 flat red||Vallejo 70.909 Vermillion|
|body||H304, FS34087 olive drab||Vallejo 70.891 Intermediate Green + ~30% 70.889 Olive Brown/USA Olive Drab|
|tires||H77 tire black||Vallejo 70.950 Black + chalk effects/weathering with 70.907 Pale Grey Blue|
Initial spray (body is pure 70.889 Olive Brown at this point)
Final coat and some light chipping.
With decals and Mr Color Matt Topcoat:
On the kit:
- very happy with the end result (especially after painting)
- window parts are a bit thick and crude. I should have tested the fit before painting and final construction.
- windshield wipers are fragile parts
- glue behind the decals was a bit rough and overdone. Some decals required quite a soak to soften and remove the excess
Would/could I electrify this? Perhaps LED headlights and/or interior dome lighting. At this scale it is a bit small for RC conversion.
Credits and References
- this project on scalemates
- Trumpeter Jie Fang CA-30 Fuel Truck 01104
- Jiefang CA-30 - scalemates
- Jiefang CA-30 - wikipedia
- FAW Jiefang - wikipedia
- 1:72 China Army Liberation CA-30 Fuel Transport Tanker - aliexpress seller