#588 Nanchang Y-5
A simple build of the Antonov An-2 Colt/Nanchang Y-5 1:72 model 01602 from Trumpeter. I’ve spied opportunities for electronics in this kit but not added any yet.
Nanchang Y-5 – (Yun-5, Yunshuji:transport) - is the Chinese version of Soviet Antonov An-2 employed as a light utility/transport biplane.
It was manufactured by Hongdu Aviation Industry Group Ltd. (HAIG) (Chinese: 洪都航空工业集团), formerly China Nanchang Aircraft Manufacturing Corporation or CNAMC, is a Chinese aircraft manufacturer and supplier to the Chinese military. It is based in Nanchang, Jiangxi and is a subsidiary of the Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC).
Three reasons why I was interested in building this kit
- it’s quite an historic subject, and one I was not familiar with
- the Trumpeter kit is perhaps representative of their early work, which I was keen to take a closer look at
- the size of the model at 1:72 scale probably offers many options for packing in some electronics (TLDR - I didn’t/haven’t yet - see more below)
Trumpeter has a number of variants of the Antonov An-2 Colt/Nanchang Y-5 in their current line-up, but they all appear to be based on an original tool from the 1990’s.
The model is very basic - not much detail in the cockpit for example - and has a number of fit issues. This is not surprising, as the tool dates back to the early days of Trumpeter.
The kit unfortunately suffered a little damage in transit - the canopy was shattered. Rather than bother with a replacement, or give up completely, I did the best fix I could including replacing some missing parts. In retrospect, perhaps I should have taken this as a cue to build a junkyard Y-5 diorama.
Basic assembly was quite straight-froward. There is not much flash, but lots of seamlines to clean up. Fit is not great, but doesn’t present very serious difficulties.
Trumpeter kit provides decals and basic paint guide for two versions - an An-2 Colt in Polish service, and the Nanchang Y-5 in Chinese service. There are no detailed references provided, and I’ve been unable to find any other material on the Y-5 “080” depicted. This aircraft was used so widely, there are literally hundreds of possible schemes.
I decided to follow the suggested Nanchang Y-5 080
|interior walls||70.907 Pale Grey Blue|
|body||70.842 Gloss White|
|prop, engine cowling, wheels||70.861 Black|
|engine||Humbrol 53 Gunmetal|
|livery stripes||70.909 Vermillion|
|livery stripes||70.963 Medium Blue|
|prop tips||70.953 Flat Yellow|
|gloss finish||Humbrol Clear Gloss|
A couple of new techniques I practiced on this build:
- one helluva masking job to spray paint the red and blue trim. Turned out ok, with not too much touch-up required.
- first time I’ve tried a Humbrol Clear Gloss coat before decals. I’ll never go back - the clear coat allows the decals to go down so easily and provides exceptional protection for the undelying paint (so not much risk of damage by decal setters/fixers).
Finishing the Build
Final gloss coat, spars (Qw-Model 0.13mm Q04007 super fine) and the antenna (Qw-Model 0.047mm Q04004 super fine) and I’m calling this done for now..
There is plenty of room in the kit at this scale to easily add electronics:
- motor for the propeller
- navigation lights
- interior lights
I decided not to go ahead with any of these modifications at this point, mainly because I had concerns starting out whether the kit would turn out any good, and because of the broken canopy.
Having finished this version, I think I would happily attempt another including electronics. But to use this kit again I would:
- look for some photo-etch for interior detail (apparently Extratech have some)
- perhaps scratch-build some interior detail
- put a lot more work (read: putty or sprue-glue) into fixing the fit issues
Perhaps Trumpeter will one day do a new tool for the 1:72 kit. IT might also be worth looking at the Hobby Boss 1:48 kit.
Credits and References
- this project on scalemates
- Trumpeter Antonov An-2 Colt/Nanchang Y-5 1:72, 01602
- Trumpeter Antonov An-2 Colt/Nanchang Y-5 - aliexpress seller
- Trumpeter Antonov An-2 Colt/Nanchang Y-5 - scalemates
- Antonov An-2 - wikipedia
- Hongdu Aviation Industry Group Ltd. - wikipedia, formerly China Nanchang Aircraft Manufacturing Corporation