Teardown an FQ777-954 nano drone and figure out as much of the technical design as possible.
The FQ777-954 and its derivatives (RC Leading RC101W, Cheerson CX-10W..) is a pretty hot item if one can judge by the number of unboxing and flight test reports - a simple search on youtube will find a few thousand. I get the impression someone has been flooding the market with review units!
What is much harder to come by is good technical information beyond the usual product feature specs.
I recently got an FQ777-954. And yes I can confirm its fun and pretty amazing for such a small package!
Since I’m interesting in exploring ways of controlling it with my own electronics and code, I first wanted to study the technical design and specs. Good information is hard to come by, but the following is the best I’ve been able to figure out and collate to date.
This is basically the extent of the information available from most sources:
- Channel: 4CH Gyro: 6 axis Flight Duration: 6-7 Minutes Quadcopter Control Distance: 30 meters
- Recharging Time: 25mins Battery For Quadcopter: 3.7V 150mAh/25C(included) Battery For Transmiter: 2 x AAA Battery (not included)
- Quadcopter weight: 17g
- Product size: 60x60x26mm
- Camera: 0.3Megapixel(480P)/Photo Quality 640x480 / Video Quality 640x480,30FPS
- Function: WIFI FPV camera/Take photo/Record video/up/down/forward/backward/side flying/360˚rolling action/hover/3D/LED
Note that many listings claim 720P but actually ship as 480P. FQ do make 720P drones but as far as I can tell, there is no 720P version of the FQ777-954 (yet).
The FQ777-954 is produced by Fu Qi / FQ Model Factory located in the Chinese Toys Town – Chenghai, Shantou City, Guangdong Province. They design, manufacture and sell a range or drones, RC models and other toys and have been around since 1997.
They also offer OEM arrangements, so it is possible that other “similar” drones are actually originally manufactured by FQ.
Mechanical Design - Propulsion
The FQ777-954 uses a conventional quadcoptor configuration of counter-rotating propellers to offset torque:
Parts out of the box. This is the “BNF” version (no controller). It also comes in an “RTF” version with controller. Without a controller, it can be flown with the RC Leading mobile application.
The top comes of:
- remove the rotors - requires a bit of force or a level/tool (they are press-fit)
- remove the 4 screw on the underside of the rotor arms
Close-up of the top:
- main processor board, with an unidentified processor chip and camera attached by ribbon cable
- sitting on the receiver board, which also runs wires to the the 4 motors
The bottom shell comes off by unclipping from the four arms of the receiver board:
- 3.7V 150mAh LiPo battery
Underside of the main processor board, featuring:
- Marvell Wi-Fi SoC
- BergMicro SPI Flash memory
The main detail I haven’t been able to pin down is perhaps the most important - which processor does it use? The identification has been etched off, but I’m guessing it’s something like a Cortex M3.
- CPU - unidentified
- Marvell 88W8801 IEEE 802.11n (1x1) single-band (2.4GHz) Wi-Fi SoC with integrated PA, LNA, and TX/RX Switch
- BergMicro BG25Q80ASICG 8M-bit Serial Peripheral Interface(SPI) Flash memory
The so-called receiver board also doubles as the structural component that holds the motors in position as well as the LEDs.
- 0.3MP Camera 4809 640x480 : SPA03442 V3.0 7P 0308
- FQ777-954-10 RC Drone Quadcopter Parts 30W Camera with Cable for FQ777 954 The Eyes F16875
2x clockwise brushless motors, 2x counter-clockwise brushless motors.
- 4pcs 1set FQ777-126C drone Spare Parts Motor 2pcs CW Motor and 2 pcs CCW Motor for FQ777 126C RC Helicopter Quadcopter
USB Charging Cable
- FQ777-124 / Cheerson CX-10/cx-10A/cx-10W RC Quadcopter Spare Parts USB Charging Cable CX-10-012 RC quadcopter
Credits and References
- FQ777 954 FQ777-954 Mini Drone The Eyes RC Quadcopter WIFI FPV with 0.3MP Camera 4CH 6Axis APP Control BNF & RTF - example available from an aliexpress seller
- fuqitoys - manufacturer
- FQ777-954 Factory-direct
- How to hack IP camera in toy drone
- Open source firmware for toy drones
- Eachine H8 mini acro firmware
- python code for controlling the FQ777-954 drone through wifi
- FQ777-954 Chrome App
- FQ777-954 “The Eyes” Review - one of the more competent technical reviews
- Item No.RC101W 2.4G 4CH RC Nano Quadcopter with 6-axis gyroscope - clone/competitor
- ..as mentioned on my blog