#403 GY560 Frequency Counter
Checking out the GY560 Frequency Counter.
The GY560 Frequency Counter is an incredibly cheap but pretty effective bit of test gear, most useful for detecting radio frequency emissions with a measure of frequency and signal strength.
I think I first saw this in one of dazaro3’s videos like How to build a 2 transistor FM transmitter:
- Frequency step : 200K (digital radio signal), 1K, 100Hz.
- Testing distance : UHF : 8m, VHF : 5m.
- Testing range : 50 MHz ~ 2.4 GHz
- Antenna : pulling out antenna
- Battery : 9V 6F22
- Auto power off time : 1 mins. (except for the digital signal gear)
- Operation : the only one button with all functions
The only one button with all functions.
- Power on: short press
- Power on and set step: hold button down on power on, will cycle through 1kHz, 200kHz, 100Hz. Release button on desired step.
- This mode will be remembered after restart.
- 200kHz mode recommended for digital radio
- 1kHz mode recommended for faster testing
- 100Hz mode recommended for accurate testing
- Hold: short press while on with hold/release display
- Power Down: long press
Quick peek inside. Not much to it - just a microcontroller with input signal and display. Although the chip is unmarked, I wouldn’t mind betting that’s just a PIC.
Credits and References
- GY560 Frequency Counter - from seller on aliexpress