Tests raw IR reception.
An exploration of IR Sensor reception based on the adafruit sample code available here.
I’ve cleaned up the code a bit and modified it to optionally pump data out for plotting with PlotNValues (a simple Processing sketch). This provides a simple graphical illustration of the PWM characteristics of IR protocols.
Here’s a sample trace of the “0” key being pressed on a common MP3 player remote control:
And another showing an LG remote contol “power on/off” key press:
This all got me reading IR Remote Control Theory to better understand operation and protocols. Next step is to start decoding the signals, however for that I might avoid re-inventing the wheel and instead try the IRremote library.
Credits and References
- IR Remote Control Theory - the best reference I’ve found so far for IR theory and also protocol details.
- Using an IR Sensor - a good IR tutorial that this project is based upon
- TSOP1838 datasheet - one of many similar IR sensors
- Port Registers - explains Arduino raw port methods
- IRremote library - an IR library (not used here)